I just returned from a big fat Indian wedding of a cousin. It was a cocktail of Indian traditions and western culture as this cousin is from New Zealand. The best part about these weddings is the platform it gives us to bond with our relatives.
I don't remember much about the actual rituals that took place but what I do remember are the long nights with my other co-sister in laws. With our kids safely tugged in their beds, husbands lodged in separate rooms, the three of us ( all wives of cousins) bonded like never before. Downloading the sorrows of life and later on having a good laugh over few pegs; all of us got a fresh lease of life. We were happy to find our kids too bonding well as they fought and again pestered each other into reconciliation.
Before the wedding I was a little apprehensive about the Indian ethos attached to weddings. I am not sure if the elaborate arrangements made to bring two different people together, is actually worth the pain taken... The vows and pledges taken in front of friends and families will be forgotten in a few years when these same people will become strangers for each other. But what this occasion made me realize is that the weddings are not about bringing only two individuals together but also the families together. In this world where communication has got "gazetted" with "LOLS" and "smileys" taking away the charm of a call.... it is only these occasional traditional get together's that helps us to reconnect with family members.
Deciding on what to wear for which occasion and then exchanging each others wardrobes, spending long hours in front of the mirror, doing each others make up and of course the mess created in the room... its so much fun!! I do remember one particular incident, when for the actual marriage function, the elders of the family were not happy with the saree that I had chosen. It seems it was too light for the occasion. I was in a fix as I had no extra choices with me and then my eldest sister in law comes to the rescue and brings out one of her sarees, mix and matching it with another blouse. The combination got approved from the elders and I was saved for the day!! On another occasion, an elderly of the family met with a bad accident and broke her hip bones. Everyone jumped to the occasion and made sure that she received the best treatment available, till her family arrived.
Each of us who took the initiative to be present in the wedding, have re-invented themselves as well as their relationship with their near and dear ones. This bonding which had somehow vaporized in the marathon of life got rekindled.
May be it is true that marriages are not about two individuals but about families bonding and rediscovering each other. Thanks guys for making this occasion so memorable and cheers to the newly wed!!
No comments:
Post a Comment